Monday, July 18, 2016

The Young and the Wetless

                                                                                                                 May 2, 2016
Hi Everyone!

      First off, doesn't matter where, the homes of investigators, members,
or even restaurants and if it is Hispanic, there is a 75% that there
will be a soap opera or a "novella" on. I'm not saying I'm a pro when
it comes to novellas but I find the only difference between a soap
opera and novella is the language they speak in.

      Anyways last week it was sunshine and sunburns now it's rainstorms and
cold nights. Chicago weather is so fickle. And all week we were riding
and walking in the rain for hours at a time. At one point I opened up
my suitcase and unpacked my winter gear because we were so cold this
week. We had a few things go on this week. So last Monday miracles! we
were wondering what to do and I thought to be myself maybe we should
go stop by this one member because we don't have her number anymore
and she hasn't been to church in a while. Then we get a call a second
later from a number I don't recognize. Surprised I asked who it was,
it was the same person I was thinking about, we got an appointment
with her two hours later. Another problem arose, she lived alone so we
tried find a man to come with us. We couldn't so we decided to leave
the rest to God and it was meant to be because when the door opened
her husband, whom I haven't seen in 2 months, was there. Blessings
from showing our faith!

     The rest of the week though was more faith showing. We spent hours
contacting and I got two people to give me their numbers, I didn't
trust the first one because after I get their information I always
repeat back to them back but I change a number or two to see if they
correct me. The first one didn't so I was skeptical. But when we
called the numbers two days later, I felt like Korihor(for those
unfamiliar him, he is a false prophet from the Book of Mormon who
became mute for asking for sign without first acquiring faith) because
it was the same girl who I contacted earlier so I was speechless. Then
this person trampled us (Korihor died from being trampled on) because
we left a baptism party earlier to go meet with her in the heavy rain
but she wasn't at the meeting place and she wouldn't call us back so
we rode back to the church soaked but unlike Korihor instead of dying
we got baptism/birthday cake and a ton of leftovers. I like our story
better. Oh yeah the second person also didn't work out but at least
she was close to our house and it was dry.

     We also had a Sports Night, the ward did at least, the missionaries
just watched but the turn out was great. We have a new investigator,
the boyfriend of a member, hopefully he will start meeting with us.
Yesterday we had a ward party and it was awesome, I was so stuffed my
stomach hurt. I had a lot of cool experiences in this ward; learning
Spanish here, getting hi fives from kids just because I learned their
names, being called "papichulo" (a nickname I hope doesn't follow me
around in the mission), but the coolest experience by far was when my
companion met someone named Gonzalez during church and asked him who
was his missionaries, then Gonzalez pointed to me and said to ask him
because I was his missionary. How cool to be in a ward for so long,
the members know exactly who you are and how far you've come. Only
problem is I had no idea who is Gonzalez and in our ward there is 10
Gonzalezes. So other than me checking our ward directory for 30
minutes checking to see who it could possibly be (still haven't found
him) it was a really cool experience.


                                                                                       Love, Elder Agre

No comments:

Post a Comment