Monday, July 18, 2016

I Need to Stop Telling People my Parents are from the "Costa de Marfil"

                                                                                                  May 30, 2016
Happy Memorial Day,

     I had this thought (the above title) last Tuesday as we did our
service of English classes in the library, which is one of my favorite
things to do now. The "Costa de Marfil" is Spanish for Ivory Coast or
Côte d' Ivoire as it is formally known. Because it seems once people
know where my heritage comes from they think I speak French which is
not the case at all. Last Tuesday when we entered the library to start
the class, one of the sister missionaries came up to me and said,
    Sister Missionary:"Hey, Elder Agre, you know how you can speak
       French?"
    Me: "Like barely"
    Sister Missionaries: "Well we have a French student today and you are
       going to teach her, have fun"
    Me: "Wait what?"
     So that day I taught both a Spanish and French student at the same
time. They were both really good at English but explaining words was a
bit of rough. I could do it fairly well in Spanish but in French was
kind of hard. She asked me what a storm was, I thought I was using
words in French to describe what it was but when she seemed more
confused I just drew her a picture of a thundercloud and rain. Then
she asked me about the words "looking over", she then described what
she thought it meant, in French. I knew what she said was right but I
couldn't tell you why.
It was a bit rough but I'm way excited for next time.
      In other news, we were doing some finding and we found two
former investigators and hopefully we are able to get more
appointments. We also found a less active and he invited right in. We
were able to have a really spiritual lesson with him, it was amazing.
He didn't come to church yesterday but I really think he felt the
Spirit. No new investigators yet but perhaps next week we will find
the one, I have my hopes up.

I hope your week was great,
                                                                                                  Best wishes, Elder Agre

No comments:

Post a Comment